THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


3.05.2010

Gulp

Yesterday I saw Mike for my regular physical therapy session. Per usual, it was beneficial on many levels: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

At the end of the session, Mike helped me up from the table. Most of the time he assists from the back but yesterday he was in front of me. As he came toward me the absurdity and the surreality of the situation struck me funny and I began to laugh. And did I laugh -- I think I scared him. I managed to regain control long enough for him to help me put my coat on but, as he was helping me button my coat, I had another attack of the giggles. I laughed so hard that twice -- TWICE -- Mike had to reach out to prevent me from falling. I'm sure he was more than relieved when I finally left his office.

Walking back to the office was uneventful, thank goodness. I'd dreamt the night before that I had fallen while crossing the road and that cars just kept rolling over me, so I was very careful crossing the street. I will confess to feeling a bit unsure of myself and may have to explore an alternate way to get to my appointments.

Recognizing the unfortunate truth that my balance is an issue, I wrote Ellen and asked if there were any folding wheelchairs in the loan closet. No, I will not be able to use it to go to my appointments because I can't push the chair on my own, I will use it when I'm out with someone who can help me. She wrote back and told me one would be delivered.

This is a bit of a tough pill to swallow. But swallow it I will because, as one can tell from the walr-ass, I am very good at swallowing. At least for now.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter