THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


8.24.2008

Just a gloomy old thing, checking in

I ran a half marathon Saturday and a 10-miler today. My times were the worst I've ever run. Last year around this time I ran a sub-2 half and my best 10-mile time is 1:31. I added just under a half hour to each distance this weekend.

There are two ways to look at this. Given Louise's residency, I should be very glad I'm still able to knock off 23 miles in a weekend, regardless of the time. I wasn't the last one in (though I did my best), my breathing is sufficient if not excellent, my legs are strong if not as strong.

But. This isn't how it was supposed to be. And the slower race times are evidence, just like the withered claw, of what is going on. It makes me mad and it's breaking my heart.

I know at some point these slower run times won't bother me as much as they do today and I'll be able to appreciate perspective #1. I hope it doesn't take as long as these races.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter