THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


8.12.2008

Okay?

I finally gave in and took a negative energy call. As expected, bluster and bombast and self absorbed as always. Learned that he lost two cousins and an early client to ALS, something he had not mentioned when we spoke before. He adopted a reflective voice to convey how he'd been touched. I said he, having been exposed to ALS so much more than I, should know all about it.

I am skeptical. I worked for him for six years and never heard about this. And it is uncharacteristic of him not to have mentioned it in our first conversations because it would have made those conversations less about me and more about him.

He asked if I was surprised by the prevalence of ALS. I asked how 30,000 in the US could be considered prevalent, to which he argued if the Registry Act was passed we'd have different numbers. The Registry Act notwithstanding, the organizations who deal with ALS have a pretty good idea of the numbers. But since the Registry Act is something he's been working on (a load of bullshit), he refers to it when he can.

He asked how I was and I told him my hand was weaker and the thumb was not so hot. He, who has been exposed to this disease through family and others, asked if it was sudden. I impatiently explained that NO, it was gradual, like the typical course of the disease. Idiot, does he think that one day you wake up and lose function? He knows nothing, NOTHING.

He said he wanted to spend time with me. I explained I was very selective about who I spent time with and that, since I didn't have control over one aspect of my life, I was exercising control over THIS. That it was a little tiny panacea. He said, NO, it's blah blah blah. I had it. I told him if he said no to me ever again, if he presumed to think he knew more about where I was than I did, I'd hang up. I told him he didn't live in my body, he didn't think my thoughts, he knew nothing about it.

He asked about the genetics. I told him my case was sporadic, that 95% of cases are. He said with the Registry that percentage might change. I said I didn't want to be argumentative but I was pretty sure that the number was accurate based on the experts research. He insisted someone in my family must've had it and I said it was doubtful since I was sure that would have been something I'd have heard from someone!

He repeated his desire to spend time with me. I said "Listen to what you said: I want I want I want. This is about you feeling good about you, it has nothing to do with me." I said I appreciated his support and friendship but...at which point he fucking INTERRUPTED ME LIKE HE ALWAYS DOES and told me "No..." and I railed back and told him NEVER to do that again. I said if he was so interested in supporting me he could just listen to what I had to say, without interruption, and say "okay" when I was finished. He said okay. I called him an asshole. He said okay. I said I had to go. He said okay.

Maybe that will be the end of it.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm sorry you head to deal with that, but good for you for standing up. No ignoring the inevitable, no beating around the bush. You go tell him what you think!
The audacity! I just can't understand how some people are just completely self absorbed!

Love you

Jenny said...

had to, not head to. some english major I am :)

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter