THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


7.21.2008

Fast v. Slow

Today I go to Kevin's memorial service. I was rereading some of the emails we'd exchanged and was newly struck by one comment he made, that he didn't let what he couldn't do stop him from doing the things he could. He was an amazing man and I am honored to have known him.

Here's to you, Kevin.
---------------------------------------------
Since I didn't have to go in to work today, I met Lynne for a run. Oppressively hot and humid--thank goodness we were at the battlefield where it was a little shady. As we ran (Lynne 30 seconds + ahead of me, now our usual configuration!) I thought about Kevin, and Rusty, and the other PALS I hear about on PLM. I've said to some that, when I started running I joined a community where marathoning was not unusual. Now I belong to a community where death is not unusual. I told Lynne this morning that, while marathoners are always trying to finish faster and faster, PALS are trying to go as slowwwwwwwwwwwww as possible.

No wonder I am so conflicted, ha!

Putting Kevin's words into action, even though I CAN'T run like I used to, I CAN and WILL run NY.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter