THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


7.09.2008

Hands

Oh my, what a red-letter day.

I cut open an avocado all by myself! Okay, I did it left-handed but I still did it! I tried with my right but the dumb knife (which I held lightly) would not penetrate the skin. And I opened the package of brats by myself, too (so what if I had to use my teeth to pull the resealable bag open). I was able to take the dishes out of the microwave with only a little tremble, no spills. The little container of pre-cut pineapple gave me some trouble, but I conquered it. I feel very satisfied.

It's amazing that I can be so gleeful about these simple things, but I am. And it's interesting how often I just naturally default to my left hand now. Not for everything, but the list is growing.

I had a great run this morning (you knew THIS was coming, right?). I ran the first part of it solo but met Kendall and Meghan at the halfway point so ran back with them. I was feeling so strong--I don't understand where all this energy is coming from but I'll take it. It's not making me faster but that's okay. I never was very fast anyway so speed isn't that important.

Including a couple pictures, courtesy of my first born. One is me, pre-flight.

















The other needs no explanation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must let you know from experience, that left handed people are much cooler than right handed people.

welcome to the cool club of lefty's...


Tori

Anonymous said...

Where was that "pre-flight" picture taken -- did you go skydiving or parasailing while in Europe???

-Allison

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter