THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


7.11.2008

Liquids

I checked an earlier post where I'd included information on what foods affect lithium levels and was delighted to discover that beer and wine and pastries and all the delicious things in life contribute to a higher lithium level. I'd cut back on my alcohol intake because I was afraid it would have an adverse effect but now think it isn't too terrible to have a glass of beer or wine during the week. All in favor of my having an extra glass or two during the week say "aye."

Excellent, motion passed.

We'll see if I can consume enough between now and my clinic next week to make a difference because, if the level is still low, I want to see if a change to my (liquid) diet will render a dosage change unnecessary.

There's been a lot of back and forth on PLM about the benefits of lithium. Several people have decided to stop taking it because they've either noticed no change or they've noticed increased progression. I'm still on the side that hopes it may be helpful. I haven't necessarily improved but it's still early days. Admittedly, my hand is somewhat worse. Again, it's early days. And the Italian study indicated improvement (or mimimized deterioration) occurred after nine months or so. I am a slow progresser, which may be aided by the lithium. Not having any idea where I'd be without it, though, this is all speculation.

A sobering moment this afternoon: When I left the office and was leaving the garage, I realized I'd forgotten to prepare a cup of coffee for the ride home. My eyes had been feeling tired since about 2 and I was determined to bring the coffee so as to avoid yet another sleepy ride home (which has happened a couple times this week). There is never a drive-through fast food place around when you need one, so I opted to go to the 7-11 on Lee Highway. I poured the cup and headed to the register and dug out a few dollars; the coffee came to a buck and change. I had three dollar bills in my hand so I tried, clumsily, to extract two to give to the cashier and the remaining bill just fell from my right hand. I picked it up and threw it into my bag, feeling awkward. Then the cashier gave me my change, but I forgot to use my left hand and held out my right. The change fell right through my idiot fingers which don't cup anymore. Once again I bent over to pick up the change. The cashier then gave me the rest of the change, but this time I was smart and switched hands.

When I got in the car and was all settled in I heaved a big sigh that the ordeal of getting the stupid coffee was finally over. It did made me think, however, about how frustrating the situation had been, and how much more frustrating it would have been if I was worse off. Which made me start thinking about being worse off. Which I am not, so I kicked myself in the butt and took a sip of the hot coffee.

My ride home was happily non-drowsy.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Hi. I found your blog randomly on the Blogger front page, under "recently updated blogs". You have a great blog! Keep up the great work :)

Deborah said...

Thanks, Mike. I am enjoying looking at yours, too. ;)

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter