THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


3.19.2008

Timing

Brilliantly wise Tom came up with a great suggestion: call our local hospice. I did, and they have a counselor who works with kids; they also have a twice-monthly support group. I think this will be a good starting point for C Claire. The woman on the phone was friendly and helpful and informative. I'm to hear back from the counselor tomorrow.

Everything was fine until she said to make sure I knew I could come to them for my own needs. All of a sudden reality choked me--I managed to say thank you and I'd look forward to hearing from the counselor.

When I got off the phone I couldn't help it, sadness covered me up. I don't HAVE needs, not yet. I can compartmentalize and seek support for C Claire and not look down that road, even though I'm well aware that road is there. The woman's words, meant ever so kindly, were a punch in the stomach. The twitching felt worse, the weakness was more pronounced--the veneer was destroyed and a bright light shined on THE CLAW.

Luckily I got a friendly phone call. I shared what had happened and came close to losing it again, but was able to move past it...I don't want to be a gloomy old thing and bring others down. My friend, supportive and kind and fabulous, called at the right moment. Talk about perfect timing!

So. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter