THE ODDS (Debbie Does ALS)


3.31.2008

Expiration Dates

Yesterday Jenny and I spent a lovely day doing filing at my office. A gargantuan project, one that required her organizational skills and, now, her strength. She was amazing.

I'd worn a sweater over a tank and became quite hot with all the lifting and moving, so off came the sweater. The twitching was SO obvious...I called Jenny over to look at my bicep and she also saw the forearms, the shoulders, the hands. All plural, because it is right and left.

For some reason this made me think of Blade Runner--you know, about the replicants that have a predetermined and relatively short life span. I started thinking about expiration dates. We all have one. We all expect we're going to live a relatively long life. If we are taken early, we don't have time to think about it.

I think about it. I wonder how long I will live after I am functionally disabled. It's so surreal to think about one's own life in this way. It makes me think about how I'm living my life right this minute. Am I making the most of it?

I'm not being gloomy now, I'm actually fairly dispassionate at the moment. I guess because I am still living normally, making plans for races and trips and get togethers with friends. All things considered I've got such a super life. What a lovely gift this perspective is.

I hope all of you who read this can feel the depth and the intensity of my love for each of you. There is no expiration date on that.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter